Honey buffalo wings might get kicked to the curb after trying these savory meatballs. Slow cooked and simmered in their own sweet and tangy sauce, these meatballs are the perfect meal for after a long day, or even as a starter you can pick up with a toothpick. They're packed with flavor so no matter the occasion, you're sure to enjoy them.
These meatballs are also very easy to make, and you can even prepare all the ingredients the night before and leave them in the fridge for the next day. Prep time is about 20 minutes, and they take about two hours in the slow cooker.
2 pounds lean ground beef
22 saltine crackers, crushed (approx. 1 cup)
1/3 cup dry minced onion
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoons black pepper
Honey Buffalo Sauce
1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot Original Sauce
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup apricot preserves (you can also use tangerine or orange if you don't particularly like apricot)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 450F degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
2. In a big bowl, add eggs and whisk. Add the remaining Meatball Ingredients and mix until well combined. Roll the mixture into the meatball sizes you prefer and place them on a baking sheet for 8 minutes in the oven until they're just browned.
3. While that's cooking - add the Honey Buffalo Sauce Ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk to together.
4. Line the bottom of your slow cooker with your meatballs and drizzle with some of the Honey Buffalo Sauce. Then throw the rest of your meatballs in with the rest of the sauce.
5. Finally, cover and cook on low for 2 hours. Be sure to go and stir it all together again about an hour into it - and give it a taste. You might want to add more hot sauce - and about a tablespoon and a half will do.